The New Gladiator, SoothSayer and Area idea

General topics regarding the game.

The New Gladiator, SoothSayer and Area idea

Postby Ashteroth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 pm

I was doing a lot of thinking about gladiator and after making a lot of gladiators over the years I have found that even the best of gladiators pale in comparison to almost every other career. I think Gladiator is in need of an overhaul and this idea proposes some new ideas for gladiator. Ideas that don't consist of weapon specialization or any of the other previous ideas by other players.

First I thought gladiator could benefit from a condensing of skills, much like crafter has. And to change how their attacks work, instead of conventional swing or chop.

Rank1:

Haft Weapons: For rank1 this only includes handled bludgeon weapons.
Attack: Utilizes different techniques of attack dependent on the weapon. Maces 'bash', light swords and blades 'cut', Axes 'chop', medium swords swing and large swords hack, Misc weapons swing and Jointed weapons whip/swing and wrap. Example using a mace - Waffles attacks you with his mace - The mace bashes into your face
Block: Blocking using weapons

Rank2:

Haft Weapons: For Rank2 this includes handled bludgeon weapons and all small bladed weapons (19 stones or lighter)
Misc: Weapons that don't fit into other categories.
Attack
Block: Blocking using weapons
Trip

Rank3:

Haft Weapons: For Rank3 this includes all previous skill enhancements plus now the gladiator can wield large bladed weapons.
Jointed
Misc
Attack
Block: Blocking using weapons and shields. If the shield is too light then the weapon will be selected to block instead.
Trip
Weaponise(or Weightless): Increasing the weight limit by a max of 15stones. I thought about making this skill giving the gladiator the ability to wield any item as a weapon, but that may be way too much work.
Armored: Forget armor use, this will be more useful to a gladiator. This will encourage gladiators to fight as the description says they should be able to - with little to no armor. While armor is desirable this will give the gladiator armor as they receive damage. The higher the skill, the harder the hit, the more armor they will receive for the duration of a fight. The temp armor would stack with other armor.
Swap: Swapping weapons out

Rank 4:
Haft Weapons
Jointed
Misc
Attack
Block
Trip
Weaponise(or Weightless)
Swap
Nets

Extras: Intelligence is part of the gladiator makeup for quickly learning all of their varied skills. I think a gladiator's intelligence should increase skill cap. For instance a gladiator's base cap could be something like 55, but every 10int gives +5 increased cap with a max of 20. If this alone was added it could give gladiator a boost.

Notes: I think this will make gladiator more user friendly, but also give them a competitive edge in the career marketplace. Also, gladiators will gain everything their description says of them (Almost, they're suppose to be able to use everything as a weapon - which was the original purpose of weaponise). This will also make them more unique and capable. I felt spears should be removed from the gladiator arsenal simply for the sake that no one uses them and everyone complains about them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SoothSayer - I was thinking of a group that broke off from the standard singing of bard, seeing the power of the voice. Kind of like an apoc break off, and very cliched. Such as a group utilizing the power of the voice and using it to inflict harm and get the things they wanted. The bard's way of life is peaceful and to aid others, so naturally those who were using the voice for other purposes were immediately shunned and kicked out of bard school.

Rank1

Charisma - Passive skill that helps the non-combat side of the career and can ocassionally encourage group members. Can also help with getting lower prices for items or higher prices for selling. Bearing helps this.
Speech - Captivates crowds and emboldens the SoothSayer, granting extra bearing and courage. Bearing helps this.

Rank2

Charisma
Speech
Jest
- Tells a joke that can confuse or put someone offguard. Can be used during combat at great risk to bodily harm or out of combat to get a jump on your opponent. Bearing helps this.
Sooth - Helps in aggro areas. Doesn't stop from being engaged or engaging like peace, but gives a chance that an aggro npc will not attack. Bearing and will help this.

Rank3

Charisma
Speech
Jest
Sooth
Delusion
- Makes the opponent believe they are under attack by multiple opponents. Increases opponent's fatique, causes 1-2pts of fear but no pain. When one of the illusions are hit it will vanish. When the soothsayer is hit all illusions will disappear. Should start off barely workable, like 1 illusion that is weak and causes almost no fatigue. Maybe with good will and max skill the SoothSayer could have 5 of these. Higher will and skill increases the number and amount of fatique caused.
Suggest - Can attempt to persuade opponents to disengage, to get a key/monads from a npc or gain entrance into a blocked or locked area. Disguises can help. Will and bearing help.

Rank4

Charisma
Speech
Jest
Sooth
Delusion
Suggest
Conceal
- Makes the opponent hard of seeing, making the soothsayer appear blurred and even invisible at times. Will helps this.
Edged Tongue - Can cause 5-10pts of immediate pain, requires a cool down which can be reduced by skill and bearing. The cool down would also effect battlecry and shriek. Will can also ensure the verbal attack causes higher pain.

Abilities

Silver Tongue - Slightly increasing the odds that skills like Suggest, Jest, and Sooth will work.
Bleeding Tongue - Gives the skill Edged Tongue the chance to cause bleeding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oceanic Area

There are a few ships that could undock from Ravenfall. Let's make them set sail for the waters around Ravenfall. Out there the boat roams freely, either under npc control or player control. Every room is open to go in every direction and along the way the ship will come across other ships which can be passed, boarded, open for trade or be aggressive. Should the player be out during bad weather and above decks, or defeated by an aggressive boarding party or defeated on a ship they boarded they will be thrown overboard. Anyone who knows about the leviathan knows what will happen next. You'll wash up on shore with the chance of missing some items. Could even have a hidden and hard to find island with a lootable chest resting in the middle.
Ashteroth

Return to General