Looking For Help

Announcements from the Blood Dusk admin team.

Looking For Help

Postby Arslajin » Thu May 09, 2013 8:14 pm

With a new job, I have even less time than I used to for Dusk and I'm looking for someone who wants to take over Dusk's programming duties, and possibly its administrative duties down the road. This person would ideally be knowledgeable in C, UNIX, and relational databases (specifically PostrgreSQL). Most importantly, the person (or people, if there are multiple candidates) should be interested in actively developing the game, continuing the general theme and vision originally created by Athelstane. I'll be staying on for now in a supervisory role, which will likely consist of short, daily check-ins during the week which can be expanded on the weekends. I can provide some mentoring during those times if needed, and I'll of course be available via email.

Please PM me if you're interested and we'll chat.

-Arslajin
Arslajin
Site Admin

Re: Looking For Help

Postby Arslajin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 am

Only one response to this and the responder wasn't a programmer, so I'm going to open this up to other ideas regarding how to move forward and potential long-term solutions. I'd still like someone with programming experience to be involved, but maybe that's just not possible at the moment. You can either PM me or post here.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Postby Ashteroth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 pm

My suggestion would be to take it to Facebook. I'm personally not a fan of the website, even though I do use it. Maybe make it so you have to have so many friends before ranking up. Each new friend gives a +1 random stat boost, and 10 friends give a mature. While in-game currency is free to find, make a secondary currency with a real money exchange rate of 10/$1. With the second currency in-game money can be purchased along with properties, enlights, factions, statues, etc.

hahahaha. . . Just kidding, mostly.

I do think it could be beneficial to move to a medium like Facebook. It could potentially increase the playerbase. Not only that, but with a larger audience would come a higher likelihood of the perfect candidate to have Arslajin's position. Game development, even text based, appears to be quite simple. I took a quick look at it, and I didn't see any real hurdles. The only problem might be restructuring certain sections of code, and fixing most of the issues. Even so, any released version could be called a 'beta' version, until most of the prominent bugs are fixed.

I did see a text-based m.u.d. on there a while ago. Had a substantially larger playerbase and looked promising. But I did not stick around and for the life of me, I cannot remember its name.
Ashteroth

Postby Arslajin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 am

While providing access via Facebook (which means embedding a graphical telnet client) might seem like a good idea (it's not a bad idea), it won't solve any of the issues we're facing. Even creating a shiny new graphical client specific to Blood Dusk won't solve those issues. Successfully moving forward will require continuous server development, which could be supplemented by things like Facebook/Twitter integration and a custom client (which in itself is a tremendous amount of work), but not driven by them.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Return to Announcements