A Discussion

General topics regarding the game.

A Discussion

Postby Arslajin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am

So, with this annoying faction bug (review the latest post in Announcements -- the issue turned out not to be related to my typo), perhaps it's a good time to discuss a pwipe. It has been several years since our last one and doing so would also allow me to perform some server upgrades. I'll await feedback here or in-game before making a decision, but I also have some ideas that could help alleviate some concerns.

Mainly, if a pwipe takes place, I could edit maturities to come rather quickly (maybe all 4 within 30-60 minutes?) and then increase that time by a fraction each day until we're back to our current state. A server upgrade (speaking in terms of software, not hardware) likely won't have any noticeable impact on you guys, but it is something I need to do in the near future anyway and I'll also take the time to put a backup system in place, so that game data can be rolled back in case of corruption.

So, I guess I'm kind of saying that a pwipe needs to happen within the next couple of months anyway and that this seems like a decent time. I'll catch up w/ a couple of the other admins to get their thoughts and see if they want to implement any changes prior to it going down. I'm still very open to feedback.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Re: A Discussion

Postby Ravel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm fine with a pwipe myself, I of course have my usual feelings of "No, no, no I don't want to start over." but that's just because it always sucks starting over from the beginning. The wipes tend to always be good ideas though. One of my concerns though is the new or recently returned players. I know that personally I would hate having a pwipe after just putting in so much work into a game I'm new to only to have it erased so I definitely want to hear from those players. In addition to increased maturity time would increased enlight rate be an option as well? Steadily decreasing the rate until it reaches normalcy same as the maturity gains. Will two accounts still be allowed post-wipe? Other than those concerns I'm all for the wipe, the sooner the better too -- might even have a new player joining afterwards.
Ravel

Postby Arslajin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Ravel wrote:One of my concerns though is the new or recently returned players. I know that personally I would hate having a pwipe after just putting in so much work into a game I'm new to only to have it erased so I definitely want to hear from those players.

Everyone's input and ideas are always welcome, but a pwipe is inevitable as part of a server upgrade in the near future.

In addition to increased maturity time would increased enlight rate be an option as well?

Yeah, I forgot to include that. Enlights could also be increased, although less dramatically than the maturity timers and probably for a shorter duration (maybe just the first week or something).

Will two accounts still be allowed post-wipe?

Yes.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Postby Ravel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Something that'll be nice after the pwipe happens and might make the time before it a little more fun could be a series of small games and contests that take place over multiple nights/days. The prizes would be for post-pwipe and could be small things and large things ranging from class-specific gear to money.

Examples of the best prizes could be a 5th mature for your first character, a mature transfer from a character this version to a new character after the wipe.
Money Prizes could be relatively small amounts such as 50 monads, 100 monads, etc. Nothing major just something that'll be a major boost at the start.
Class-specific gear could be low to mid range items such as steel-shod quarterstaves, flanged mace, steel rapiers, jade stilettos -- all based on what class your first character is.
Ravel

Postby Arslajin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:58 pm

There definitely won't be any type of carryover from this version to the next. There may be some small, impromptu games or challenges when the new version starts, but I don't think there will be anything specifically planned. Given that everyone will be able to control two characters at the start, I'm more inclined to just leave things alone.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Postby Arslajin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Armageddon will begin Wednesday night and run through Friday night, with the world ending around midnight on Friday (so 11:59pm EST). I'm targeting the new version to begin the following weekend, hopefully sometime on Saturday the 26th. I'll post updates as it gets closer.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Postby Ashteroth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 am

You know my opinion Arslajin, I've been wanting a pwipe for a long while now. I have no problem losing everything. I mean, collecting what - near a 7-9 master hammers? Just to name one item that has been collected way more than what should have been possible. It removes the uniqueness. I was literally giving them away because I didn't have a need for them, except to horde them. Which brings me to an idea. Certain items should be made more difficult to obtain the longer the game runs. The gilded green shield has a load timer that just about everybody has figured out. Once a couple has been obtained the length before another one will show takes 25% longer. Just as an example.
Ashteroth

Postby Arslajin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Ashteroth wrote:Certain items should be made more difficult to obtain the longer the game runs.

Certain items are innately more rare and difficult to obtain. If the load times were to expand then it would probably just prevent newer or infrequent players from having a chance at the items while the previously-obtained items are sitting dormant on a character who hasn't been played for months.

I did have an idea at one point to add some no-quit items to the game and maybe I'll revisit that idea...perhaps items that are both no-quit and perishable.
Arslajin
Site Admin

Return to General